Whether you like it or not, Amazon Mechanical Turk (aka MTurk) is one of the commonest ways of earning money online at the moment. Working from home is fine when it is going well, and awful when it is not. This blog will give my thoughts and ideas regarding MTurk as well as charting my progress, knowledge and experience. (If you want to read some more of my earning money online articles, check out the links below and in the sidebar)
1. Many of the hits on Amazon MTurk are just rubbish. They either pay ridiculously well, because they are scams, or they are genuine jobs, but they’re paying you 10 cents/hour!
2. It’s difficult to know who the good Amazon MTurk requesters are and who are the bad on MTurk. You could spend hours working on there and then get ripped off. Not only do you lose the money, but you get a bad rejection rate too!
3. Amazon do not regulate the site enough. That means that there are rip-off artists and scammers operating openly on MTurk. Okay, the workers can flag bad requesters, but considering Amazon are making money from the site, you’d think they’d feel a bigger moral obligation to maintain it?
4. When you do find an Amazon MTurk requester who offers decent jobs, pays at okay rate, pays on time, and doesn’t rip you off – they suddenly disappear, just when you’re getting used to the regular money! You have no way of knowing if the requester will be back in a few hours, a few days, or never again!
5. There’s lots of MTurk hits and requesters, but navigating around the Amazon Turk site can be a pain in the backside. Why can’t you save your favorite requesters, or your favorite searches? Have your own little My MTurk part of the site? Wouldn’t that make it a lot easier for regular MTurk workers?
6. There’s no effective comeback against the MTurk requesters who rip people off. Okay, you can report them to Amazon. But that doesn’t stop them in their tracks or get you your wages. Eventually, I guess Amazon will ban them from the site, but by then they’ve made lots of money!
7. It can be complicated working out what money’s where. You have the total money earned section on your MTurk website dashboard, which is often not up to date because of late paying requesters. Then you have the Account section of Amazon, which is often not up to date because the money takes time to be paid over from MTurk. Then you have the money in your bank account which is always delayed by several days when it comes from the Amazon Account.
8. MTurk can be very addictive. There’s always a temptation to just do one more job. The next thing you know, it’s in the morning and you have to get up at 7! Or your wife is getting fierce because you haven’t spoken to her for 2 days!
9. You can lose all perspective with MTurk. Before you know it, you’re ranting and raving and your day/week has been completely ruined, all because a requester has failed to pay you some measly sum like 10 cents!
10. The number of jobs fluctuates wildly on Amazon MTurk. One day there’s 150, 000 jobs on there, the next day there’s only 45,000. Either there’s more jobs going than you can possibly handle, or there’s absolutely nothing on there that’s worth doing!
Amazon Mechanical Turk Top Tricks and Tips
How to avoid MTurk scams
10 reasons why I love Amazon Mechanical Turk
Sites like MTurk
The Pros and Cons of Making Money with Microworkers
Other Work at Home Websites
How to Make Money with MyLot
Earning Money Online with Swagbucks – The Pros and Cons
Work at Home Now: The No-nonsense Guide to Finding Your Perfect Home-based Job, Avoiding Scams, and Making a Great Living
Work From Home Jobs Directory
More Jobs in Data Entry Work From Home